This easy Italian vegetable soup recipe consists of 14 ingredients, including Italian sausage, carrots, celery, and onion.
What you need:
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 T olive or vegetable oil
- 1 c diced celery
- 1 c diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 c sliced carrots
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 t basil
- 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 2 (10.75 oz) cans beef bouillon, or 3 bouillon cubes + 1.5 c hot water
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 c finely shredded cabbage
- 15 oz can Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1-2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce per taste (optional)
What you do:
- Brown sausage in oil in a deep saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, carrots, and basil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes with liquid, bouillon, cabbage, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add beans with liquid.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- May add tomato sauce (optional)
- Recipe submitted by Joyce O. via Wisconsin.