This easy chile con carne recipe consists of 13 ingredients, many of which are probably already in your pantry.
What you need:
- 3.5 lbs top round, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 c coarsely chopped onions
- 2 c beef broth
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 5 T vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 T chili powder
- 1.5 t oregano
- 1.5 t ground cumin
- 1 t crushed red peppers
- salt to taste
- 1 t sugar
What you do:
- Heat 3 T of the oil in a large, heavy pot.
- When hot, add the meat, seasoned with salt, all at once.
- Sear it, turning constantly, until all the pieces are lightly browned.
- Transfer the meat to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 T oil to pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is wilted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.
- This chili is respectively hot, but it‘s not scorching. If you discover someone to whom this is baby food, offer additional red pepper flakes.
- Recipe submitted by Joyce O. via Wisconsin.