Try this quick and easy to make sausage and rice casserole recipe. It’s sure to warm you up on a brisk fall or cold winter day.
Sausage and Rice
- 1 lb bulk spicy Italian sausage browned and drained
- 1/2 c green pepper chopped
- 1/2 c onion chopped
- 1 c celery chopped
- 4 oz can sliced mushrooms drained
- 10 1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/3 c milk
- 1/2 c brown rice uncooked
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/8 -1/4 t Cajun seasoning depending on taste
- 1 c Italian style bread crumbs
- 2 T butter melted
- 1 T olive oil
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil.
- Combine onion, green pepper and celery and cook until tender.
- Add soup, milk, sausage, rice, mushrooms and seasonings and stir to mix.
- Pour into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Take out of oven and stir.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and butter.
- Layer mixture on top of casserole.
- Place casserole back in oven and bake for 25 minutes uncovered.