By Sabina Novak
Crab Puff Recipe is one of the most popular crab appetizer recipe. There are over 4,000 varieties of crabs. Serve these light, airy bundles with Blue Cheese Dressing, purchased ranch dressing, or mango chutney. Follow the directions carefully. Makes about 18 puffs. Let’s begin:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing the baking sheet
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg white
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons minced sage leaves
- A couple of dashes hot red pepper sauce to taste
- 6 ounces lump crab meat
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 F. Generously grease a large baking sheet with some olive oil dabbed on a paper towel.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the flour. Cook, whisking all the while, until the bottom and sides of the pan are coated with a white film. Scoop the mixture into a large bowl; cool for 3 minutes.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg into the flour mixture until smooth. Beat in the egg white until smooth, then beat in the Parmigiano-Reggiano, sage, and hot red pepper sauce until well combined, about 1 minute. Remove the beaters and stir in the crab meat.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing the mounds about 1 inch apart. Set the sheet aside for 10 minutes to air-dry the mounds.
- Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 30 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes or until room temperature.
Shrimp Sage Puffs:
Substitute 6 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cooked, for the crabmeat. For the easiest substitution, just buy cooked cocktail shrimp at your supermarket. Mince the cooked shrimp very finely before adding them to the batter.
Omit the crabmeat and increase the sage to 1 1/2 tablespoons-or substitute any minced herb you prefer.
Enjoy this easy appetizer recipe and Bon Apetit.
About the Author:
Here you can find One of the best APPETIZER RECIPES prepared in minutes.
Here you can find simple RECIPES FOR APPETIZER recipes. Welcome to Emely’s Cuisine.
Emely’s Recipes on APPETIZER BLOG
Articles Source: Recipe for Crab Puffs