This low fat sausage and peppers recipe is made with smoked turkey sausage and is delicious. You may also substitute Polish sausage or smoked sausage if you have those in your refrigerator.
What you need:
- 14 -16 oz package smoked turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut in strips
- 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t basil
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t garlic salt
- 1/8 t black pepper
What you do:
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers, mushrooms, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to skillet and cook until vegetables are softened but still crisp, stirring frequently.
- Remove vegetables from pan.
- Heat 1 T oil in skillet.
- Cut sausage in half lengthwise, then slice in 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook at med-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add vegetables and crushed tomatoes to skillet and mix.
- Cook over medium-heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through; serve.
- If you’re not worried about the fat content, you may use polish sausage or smoked sausage.