Try this quick and easy Southern specialty; fried green tomatoes. This easy side dish recipe consists of 8 ingredients, including cornmeal, flour, and egg.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 medium green tomatoes sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 c flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 T milk
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- cooking oil of choice
- In a shallow bowl or plate, mix salt, pepper, and cornmeal.
- In another shallow bowl/plate, add flour.
- Mix eggs and milk together in a separate bowl.
- Coat each tomato slice in flour, then egg mixture, then in cornmeal mixture.
- Coat bottom of large skillet with about 1/4" of oil.
- Heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add tomatoes in a single layer in pan and continue cooking on medium heat.
- Flip when golden brown and cook other side.
- Repeat procedure with remaining tomato slices.
Serve with ranch dressing or hot sauce. May add 1/8 t cayenne pepper to cornmeal for some spice.