Nothing goes better with football than easy beer soaked bratwurst. Cooked on the grill, this favorite Wisconsin recipe is sure to please!
Beer Soaked Bratwurst
- 1 lb of bratwurst
- 2 (12 oz) cans of beer
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 (16 oz) jar sauerkraut with caraway seeds
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 T butter
- Layer bratwurst on bottom of 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan.
- Pour beer over bratwurst and cover with foil.
- Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Drain sauerkraut.
- In medium skillet, add butter, onion, and green pepper.
- Cook on med heat until lightly browned.
- Add sauerkraut, mix and continue heating for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Wrap sauerkraut mixture in aluminum foil and set aside.
- Add brats and beer to large skillet or saucepan; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- On gas grill, set front and back burners to med heat and leave the middle off.
- Set foil covered kraut off to the side, away from direct heat.
- Place brats in middle of grill and cover.
- Cook brats for 10 - 12 minutes, making sure browned on each side and watching for flare-ups.
- On charcoal grill, cook over mostly ashen coals for 10 -15 minutes, turning often and preventing flare-ups.
- Cook kraut away from flame.
Serve brats on buns with kraut mixture on top and spicy brown mustard, or your choice of condiments.