Tired of breaking out the prepackaged pancake mix every time you have a craving for fresh pancakes? If those same old pancakes are getting a little boring, try mixing it up with some strong, flavorful crumbled blue cheese. This are two of my favorite early-morning cheese recipes because they’re actually easy to make and a wonderful way to start the day. Both are also a great source of protein to give you energy for your long day!
Blue Cheese Pancakes with Crumbled Bacon
Can you imagine a better breakfast than pancakes with delicious salty bacon? Sometimes I add a fried egg on the side or scrambled eggs with some extra blue cheese crumbled on top. If you’re short on time, don’t be afraid to use your prepackaged pancake mix and just throw in the blue cheese before cooking.
6 thick slices of bacon, fully cooked, cooled and crumbled
2 eggs, separated
3 ounces of 2% milk
4 ounces of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
Dash of salt
3 ounces of crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for cooking
How to Make it:
1. Start by placing the two egg yolks and the milk in a bowl. Sift the flour on top and add in salt and sugar. Mix until everything is incorporated, then whisk the egg whites together in a separate bowl until peaks begin to form. Fold the egg whites into the flour and egg mixture. Stir in bacon and cheese.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and drop in batter by spoonfuls. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until the pancakes are crispy. Enjoy!
Potato Pancakes with Crumbled Blue Cheese and Cranberries
Potato pancakes are my absolute favorite snack and I like to make them in the afternoon to have for lunch. They’re also a great way to start the morning. This recipe adds a whole new layer of flavor to a classic dish and it’s super easy to make. If you don’t feel like peeling and shredding the potatoes, substitute with a package of hash browns from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Top with apple sauce for an even sweeter treat! You can use any type of bleu cheese, although I like to use Castello’s crumbled blue cheese with dried cranberries mixed in.
12 ounces of peeled, shredded potatoes
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1-1/3 cup Castello Crumbled Blue Cheese with Cranberries
1 teaspoon each of black pepper and salt
Butter for frying
How to Make it:
1. Whether you’re using freshly shredded potatoes or pre-packaged hash browns, lay them out on clean paper towels to remove as much moisture as you can.
2. In a large bowl, combine the garlic, potatoes, onion, cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper, along with half of the cheese.
3. Preheat a frying pan over medium heat with butter for frying.
4. Add batter 1/4 cup at a time to the skillet, flattening slightly, and cook until crispy and golden brown. Only flip the pancakes once!
5. Top with the rest of the blue cheese and apple sauce, if desired.
Suzy enjoys sharing her favorite cheese recipes with an audience and spends her free time in the kitchen trying new recipes.