What you need:
- 1 lb of bratwurst
- 2 (12 oz) cans of beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) jar sauerkraut with caraway seeds
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 T butter
What you do:
- Layer bratwurst on bottom of 9" x 13" x 2" baking pan. Pour beer over
bratwurst and cover with foil. Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Drain sauerkraut. In medium skillet, add butter, onion and green
pepper. Cook on med heat until lightly browned. Add sauerkraut, mix
and continue heating for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Wrap
sauerkraut mixture in aluminum foil and set aside.
- Add brats and beer to large skillet or saucepan; cover and simmer for
- On gas grill, set front and back burners to med heat and leave the
middle off. Set foil covered kraut off to the side, away from direct
heat. Place brats in middle of grill and cover. Cook brats for 10 -12
minutes, making sure browned on each side and watching for flare-
- On charcoal grill, cook over mostly ashen coals for 10 -15 minutes,
turning often and preventing flare-ups. Cook kraut away from flame.
- Serve brats on buns with kraut mixture on top and spicy brown
mustard, or your choice of condiments.